Published on Monday, 14 March 2011 12:22
Written by Travis Howle
Protecting Students Without Limiting Learning
For today's educators, Netsweeper solutions give you the power to safeguard students from web-based threats and inappropriate content while ensuring they can still benefit from the rich content available on the web. You can ensure compliance with relevant legislation and regulation like CIPA and BECTA while retaining granular control over the policies and administration within your organization.
Why Choose Netsweeper?
- A proven solution deployed in some of the most demanding districts and education networks in the world. Through our deployments in the UK 1 in 3 English schoolchildren are protected by Netsweeper.
- Software-based technology that you can implement on industry-standard Intel hardware (rather than proprietary appliances)
- Support for 1:1 laptop programs as well as network-based filtering so your students are protected both on and off the network
- Dynamic analysis of new web content, adding 10+ million new URIs to the more than 5 billion URIs already categorized by Netsweeper
- Deployable out-of-band (instead of inline), minimizing risk, latency and bandwidth overheads
Key Netsweeper Features for Education
Netsweeper solutions are well-suited to the needs of today's education networks.
- The fastest web content filtering and access management solution in the market that operates 'in-the-core' of your network without resulting in latency and lagging performance issues
- Centralized web-based administration tools empower IT Managers to control Internet access and activity on a global, group or per user level while also delegating access controls to other named staff, such as specific teachers
- Empower teachers with detailed reporting on student Internet activity to ensure usage is positively impacting student performance
- Scalable, flexible and reliable solution that will integrate with your existing infrastructure and will support your business now and in the future, without the need for extensive investment in hardware
- Provide zero-hour network protection against web-borne viruses, malware and phishing threats to ensure network reliability to students and teachers
- Configurable eSafety messages to provide ongoing "learning moments" instead of just blocking content
- Advanced web-based administration console, enabling IT management complete operational control over application, including: policy management, reporting, administration access, etc.
- Ability to better manage network bandwidth by controlling access to high bandwidth resources
Netsweeper solutions are deployed at all scales in the Education world, from statewide networks to independent schools.
Available case studies for Education include the London Grid for Learning (via Synetrix) and MOREnet.